Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Heart Rate

When I'm at the gym I like to keep track of my heart rate, and they always have a little graph with your age and what kind of workout you want, cardio, fat burning, ect. My machine is always beeping at me that I need to slow down because my heart rate is too fast, but I'm just getting into my workout and I feel great. So I looked it up today and found NEMA Health and it made me feel better.
Resting heart rate for someone my age should be anywhere between 50-90 depending on how athletic you are. I am not athletic. My bpm immediately after my workout cooldown is 90 so I'm doing pretty well. NEMA says that you should take 220-your age, and that is your maximum heart rate. My max is 199. You then take that number and you find your upper and lower target zones when working out. Here are my results:
Maximum heart rate: 199
Upper Target: 159
Lower Target: 119

My average currently during a work out is about 170, and for someone who hasn't really gotten her ass up in a while I think it's pretty good. So ignore the dumb gym machine and do what feels good, but know to listen to your body.

Just found this nifty little chart on Pinterest. That site has inspired my health so much it is kid of silly, but it really is an easy way to find good stuff. You can follow my fitness board by clicking the link on the right!


No comments:

Post a Comment